Adding Newer Computers to Your Wireless Network May Cause Crashes



My Freind, Tony, from UT-Knoxville writes, " I have a wireless network in my home that has been stable for some time. I just recently bought my wife her own Dell laptop and that is where the problems begin.

If everything else is logged on and working, and the new computer is booted last, the network crashes. There are other sequences that cause this outcome, but all are based on the inclusion of the newer Dell computer."

My first impression is that there is a tcp/ip conflict when the newer computer is started. Upon checking the networking control panel I found that there were two instances of "IP(v.6) and (v.4) on the newer computer, but not on the older computers. Since the other equipment on the network is 2+ years old, I turned off the instance of (v.6) on the newer machine and rebooted the computer.

Shazzam. The problem is now fixed. The newer computer was attempting to override the TCP/IP configureation with the newer drivers. Case solved.

Please feel free to ask any other networking problems you may have. Send them to "andy@hey-andy.com" Thanks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. Please feel free to share this information with others. No, really, please. Feel absolutely free. Make sure you leave an email address where I can respond to you personally

 

Plain Answers to Geek Questions Copyright © 2009 by Andy Honaker; Adapted from Ipiet's Blogger Template